VHP threatens stir over Amarnath yatra duration
Jammu: The VHP on Friday threatened to launch a
countrywide agitation to protest against the curtailment of
Amarnath yatra duration from 60 days to 39 days and demanded
the resignation of Governor NN Vohra as Chairman of Shri
Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
The outfit also demanded the reconstitution of the shrine
"We demand resignation of Vohra as Chairman of SASB for
curtailment of the yatra to 39 days this year under the
pressure of separatists. The board should be reconstituted,"
VHP state chief Ramakant Dubey told reporters here.
The shrine board has announced June 25 as the new date
for starting the yatra.
The VHP demands for the reconstitution of SASB, which
should comprise only those members having full faith in Hindu
religion, he said.
Dubey said the yatra shall commence from auspicious
Jyeshth Purnima, which is falling on June 4, a practice which
has been going on for the last several years.
He said the VHP will organise protest demonstrations at
all district headquarters across the country from April 16 to
press their demand for the early commencement of yatra.
In case an immediate decision is not taken in this
regard, the VHP will start the yatra on its own from June 4,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman