VHP threatens stir over Amarnath yatra duration
Jammu: The VHP on Friday threatened to launch a
countrywide agitation to protest against the curtailment of
Amarnath yatra duration from 60 days to 39 days and demanded
the resignation of Governor NN Vohra as Chairman of Shri
Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
The outfit also demanded the reconstitution of the shrine
"We demand resignation of Vohra as Chairman of SASB for
curtailment of the yatra to 39 days this year under the
pressure of separatists. The board should be reconstituted,"
VHP state chief Ramakant Dubey told reporters here.
The shrine board has announced June 25 as the new date
for starting the yatra.
The VHP demands for the reconstitution of SASB, which
should comprise only those members having full faith in Hindu
religion, he said.
Dubey said the yatra shall commence from auspicious
Jyeshth Purnima, which is falling on June 4, a practice which
has been going on for the last several years.
He said the VHP will organise protest demonstrations at
all district headquarters across the country from April 16 to
press their demand for the early commencement of yatra.
In case an immediate decision is not taken in this
regard, the VHP will start the yatra on its own from June 4,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'