AISSF activists demand constitution of SIT to probe 1984 riots
Jamshedpur: Around 50 activists of All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) here on Friday sat on a day-long fast demanding constitution of a Special Investigating Team (SIT) to probe the 1984 Sikh riots that claimed hundreds of lives following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Led by the president of AISSF, Bihar-Jharkhand unit, Satnam Singh Gambhir, the activists squatted in front of the East Singhbhum district head quarter here in support of the demand.
Gambhir also appealed the President of India Pranab Mukherjee to quash the recent Supreme Court verdict acquitting Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in the case.
A delegation of AISSF also handed over a memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner of the district addressed to the President of India in support of their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?