AISSF activists demand constitution of SIT to probe 1984 riots
Jamshedpur: Around 50 activists of All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) here on Friday sat on a day-long fast demanding constitution of a Special Investigating Team (SIT) to probe the 1984 Sikh riots that claimed hundreds of lives following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Led by the president of AISSF, Bihar-Jharkhand unit, Satnam Singh Gambhir, the activists squatted in front of the East Singhbhum district head quarter here in support of the demand.
Gambhir also appealed the President of India Pranab Mukherjee to quash the recent Supreme Court verdict acquitting Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in the case.
A delegation of AISSF also handed over a memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner of the district addressed to the President of India in support of their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'