AISSF activists demand constitution of SIT to probe 1984 riots
Jamshedpur: Around 50 activists of All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) here on Friday sat on a day-long fast demanding constitution of a Special Investigating Team (SIT) to probe the 1984 Sikh riots that claimed hundreds of lives following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Led by the president of AISSF, Bihar-Jharkhand unit, Satnam Singh Gambhir, the activists squatted in front of the East Singhbhum district head quarter here in support of the demand.
Gambhir also appealed the President of India Pranab Mukherjee to quash the recent Supreme Court verdict acquitting Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in the case.
A delegation of AISSF also handed over a memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner of the district addressed to the President of India in support of their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal