Cash-for-vote scam: Ranchi ex-mayor surrenders
Ranchi: Former mayor of Ranchi, Rama Khalkho surrendered in a court here Tuesday in Rs.22 lakh cash-for-vote scandal and was sent to 14 days in judicial custody.
Khalkho was on the run after a local court issued an arrest warrant against her in connection with the graft in the mayoral election held April 8.
A non-bailable arrest warrant was pending against her. Police moved a Ranchi court Monday seeking to attach her properties. The court sent her to 14 days of judicial custody.
The Ranchi Municipal Corporation mayoral poll took place on April 8. Khalkho, mayor of Ranchi, was also a candidate in the poll. A few days before the poll, police raided a hotel here and seized Rs.22 lakh in cash and pamphlets of Khalkho.
According to the police, Khalkho had left the place when the hotel was raided. Police arrested two people, including a Congress leader, in connection with the seizure of the cash.
The state election commission did not pursue the counting process and a fresh date for the poll is yet to be announced.
Police sources say that cash seized from the hotel was to be utilised to lure the voters in the mayoral poll. Police will seek remand of Khalkho for interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog