Cash-for-vote scam: Ranchi ex-mayor surrenders
Ranchi: Former mayor of Ranchi, Rama Khalkho surrendered in a court here Tuesday in Rs.22 lakh cash-for-vote scandal and was sent to 14 days in judicial custody.
Khalkho was on the run after a local court issued an arrest warrant against her in connection with the graft in the mayoral election held April 8.
A non-bailable arrest warrant was pending against her. Police moved a Ranchi court Monday seeking to attach her properties. The court sent her to 14 days of judicial custody.
The Ranchi Municipal Corporation mayoral poll took place on April 8. Khalkho, mayor of Ranchi, was also a candidate in the poll. A few days before the poll, police raided a hotel here and seized Rs.22 lakh in cash and pamphlets of Khalkho.
According to the police, Khalkho had left the place when the hotel was raided. Police arrested two people, including a Congress leader, in connection with the seizure of the cash.
The state election commission did not pursue the counting process and a fresh date for the poll is yet to be announced.
Police sources say that cash seized from the hotel was to be utilised to lure the voters in the mayoral poll. Police will seek remand of Khalkho for interrogation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory