Jharkhand CM Hemant Soren wins trust vote
Ranchi: Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren Thursday won a crucial trust vote in the state assembly.
Forty three legislators voted in favour of the government in the 82-member assembly while 37 voted against it.
The Soren-led Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) government was formed July 13 and was directed by Governor Syed Ahmad to prove his majority in the assembly within a week.
During the debate on the motion in the special assembly session, former chief minister and Bharatiya Janata Party leader Arjun Munda came down on the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM)-Congress alliance.
"This alliance has been formed for the benefit of the Congress. There is no hope that this government will do anything for development of the state," he said.
Pradeep Yadav, legislative party leader of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), alleged that his party`s legislator Nizamuddin Ansari was missing since Wednesday.
The Hemant Soren-led government earlier got some relief when party legislator Sita Soren, who was facing arrest in an abduction case, surrendered before police in Ranchi and was granted bail, paving the way for her to attend the assembly.
Another absconding party legislator, Nalin Soren, moved the Supreme Court for shield against arrest. According to a JMM legislator, the court asked Nalin Soren to surrender in Ranchi.
Nalin Soren, a former agriculture minister, is one of nine accused in the 2007 seeds scam case in which irregularities were allegedly found in supply of seeds to farmers.
Legislators Sawna Lakra, serving a life term in a murder case, and Dullu Mahto, who is in jail in another case, attended the assembly with the permission of court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers