Jharkhand requests funds for modernising police force
New Delhi: Endorsing the Centre`s proposal for strengthening intelligence mechanism and CCTV coverage as part of preventive policing, Jharkhand on Monday made a pitch for additional grants for modernising its police force and specialised training of its security personnel.
Jharkhand Governor Dr Syed Ahmed also said police personnel need to be sensitised towards human rights, child rights, media handling and mob handling.
Ahmed was speaking at the Chief Minister`s Conference on 5th Report of the 2nd Administrative Reforms Commission. He represented the state as Jharkhand has been under President`s rule since January.
"The importance of intelligence as a police function is paramount and most critical to the effectiveness of the force. The proposed strengthening of intelligence as recommended is fully endorsed," he said.
However, Ahmed suggested that, "Standardised inventories and protocols at Government of India level will ensure seamless integration of manpower and technology for all states".
Agreeing to the proposal of increasing the CCTV coverage as part of preventive policing, he said, "This is no longer debatable. Funds may be made available under modernisation grant and extended to two tier cities also."
Terming police training as a "critical issue", he said, "good training can be an outcome only if specialised training is provided to the trainers," and also called for counsellors and psychiatrists in the training academies.
On welfare of policemen, the Governor said, "A very vital aspect is adequate quality housing which needs to be funded at Government of India level and implemented at the earliest. Needless to say that inadequate housing is a major demoralising factor."
Ahmed said a transparent recruitment process "will be the beginning of true empowerment of policemen and officers. Furthermore, in a state like Jharkhand with a large presence of tribal and primitive tribal population, affirmative action is critical to inclusive development."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender