Maoist surrenders, US-made weapon seized after enc
Medininagar: A Maoist surrendered and an American make gun was seized after an encounter broke out between security forces and the rebels in Palamau district on Sunday, police said.
CRPF and district police had surrounded the area since last night following a tip-off that about 25 Maoists, including three self-styled sub-zonal commanders, had assembled near Sernia village.
"During the 30-minute encounter which began around 6 AM, the security forces fired fifty rounds as against the Maoists` hundred bullets. Maoist Raj Kumar Yadav was arrested after he surrendered. Others fled the spot," Superintendent of Police Anup T Mathew and CRPF Commandant Anil Minz told reporters here.
A US-made gun, three rifles, a country-made pistol and carbine were recovered after the gun battle, they said.
The three self-styled sub-zonal commanders who escaped were identified as -- Vishal, Kalika and Raman, police said, adding that there was no casualty on any side.
Four mobile phones and other materials were also found at the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Committee flags gaps, vulnerability in Indo-Pak border fencing
- Argentine football legend Diego Maradona's passport stolen, unable to travel to Dubai
- RBI calls for ownership change of companies with sticky loan accounts
- Building a sports culture crucial to winning medals at Olympics: Pullela Gopichand
- Maharashtra, Haryana Assemblies unanimously ratify GST Bill