RS gives green nod for Prez rule in Jharkhand
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Tuesday approved the proclamation of President`s Rule in Jharkhand where former Chief Minister Arjun Munda had resigned after his government was reduced to a minority last month.
Jharkhand was brought under President`s Rule for the third time since its formation 12 years ago on January 18 after JMM withdrew support from the BJP-led government there.
The House approved the proclamation of President`s Rule with voice vote after a debate on the issue.
Replying to the debate, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde refuted suggestions that the Central Government had made any attempt to destabilise the state government.
"Something else other than administration was happening there....We do not have such a mindset. Did we go to the JMM to ask them to withdraw its support to pull the government?" he said.
The Home Minister said it was "difficult" to run coalition governments and cited the example of the UPA-II government being run by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"You should have will power to run a coalition government .... We do not want small states to suffer because of these things," he said.
The Home Minister said the gap between the last two occasions when President`s Rule was imposed in the state was around three months and if the BJP wants, it can again stake claim to form Government.
He said Governor Syed Ahmed had tried for three days to resolve the crisis in the state before recommending the imposition of President`s Rule in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note