Those who have lost 3 LS, Assembly polls should opt out voluntarily: Rahul Gandhi
Ranchi: Asking local-level party leaders to gear up for the 2014 general elections, AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said those who had lost three Lok Sabha and Assembly polls during their political career should opt out of the race voluntarily to give others a chance.
Gandhi`s suggestion came when his attention was drawn at a party meeting to how some names of poll aspirants were chucked out in the final list and replaced by some others.
"I prefer that the candidates list be announced 7 to 8 months before any election ... I ask you all to gear up for the 2014 elections," Gandhi, who addressed a meeting of party block and district presidents and other leaders here, said.
He also asked Congress members to desist from indulging in factional feuds and be united ahead of the general elections and Jharkhand polls slated for 2014, so that the party formed the governments at both places.
Earlier, Gandhi was told by the participants that aspirants who failed to secure a ticket indulge in anti-party activities to defeat the official candidate.
"Rahulji advised us not to indulge in such activities but to go back to the panchayats to establish contact with the people who are keen to see a Congress government in Jharkhand," Ranchi Congress unit president Surendra Singh, who attended the meeting, told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued