Those who have lost 3 LS, Assembly polls should opt out voluntarily: Rahul Gandhi
Ranchi: Asking local-level party leaders to gear up for the 2014 general elections, AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said those who had lost three Lok Sabha and Assembly polls during their political career should opt out of the race voluntarily to give others a chance.
Gandhi`s suggestion came when his attention was drawn at a party meeting to how some names of poll aspirants were chucked out in the final list and replaced by some others.
"I prefer that the candidates list be announced 7 to 8 months before any election ... I ask you all to gear up for the 2014 elections," Gandhi, who addressed a meeting of party block and district presidents and other leaders here, said.
He also asked Congress members to desist from indulging in factional feuds and be united ahead of the general elections and Jharkhand polls slated for 2014, so that the party formed the governments at both places.
Earlier, Gandhi was told by the participants that aspirants who failed to secure a ticket indulge in anti-party activities to defeat the official candidate.
"Rahulji advised us not to indulge in such activities but to go back to the panchayats to establish contact with the people who are keen to see a Congress government in Jharkhand," Ranchi Congress unit president Surendra Singh, who attended the meeting, told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest