Mock drill death: Four firemen suspended
Bangalore: Four firemen were suspended on Sunday
for their "negligence" during a mock drill, which resulted in
a garment factory worker falling to her death from the third
floor of the unit earlier this week.
Fire officers Devaraju and K Narayanaswamy and Fire
Station officers Nisar Ahmed and Marianna were suspended after
a Fire Department probe yesterday into the incident.
"The report is expected to be submitted in a week`s time,"
DGP, Fire Services, AR Infant told PTI here.
Infant said the four were suspended for not following
standard operating norms while conducting drills. "They should
have tested the quality of the rope before using it for the
mock drill," he said.
The officials also should have arranged for enough cushions
at various points on the ground, Infant said.
Nalini (24) fell to her death from the third floor of a
garment factory on February 24 during the mock drill after the
The drill was being conducted by the Fire Department in the
premises of Bombay Rayon Fashion Limited in Peenya Industrial
Area in north Bangalore to test the preparedness of factory
workers and fire officials during a fire.
The garment factory management has announced a compensation
of Rs five lakh to the next kin of Nalini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what