SC suspends vote recount in Bellary Lok Sabha poll
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday suspended the recounting of votes that was directed by the Karnataka High court when it set aside the election of J Shantha, the Bharatiya Janata Party`s Lok Sabha member from Bellary in Karnataka.
Shantha was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Bellary Reserved constituency in 2009.
The apex court vacation bench of Justice H.L. Gokhale and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai suspended the counting of votes on the plea of Shantha, who contended that the high court could not have disqualified her and directed the returning officer to recount the votes and declare results afresh.
The court issued notice to Congress worker M. Chandregowda, who had field an election petition against Shantha, and six others.
Shantha had challenged the high court order of June 11, 2012, which set aside her election on the grounds that the alleged irregularities committed during the counting of votes materially affected the outcome of the poll.
The apex court, while suspending the recounting of votes, said that Shantha can sign the attendance register and participate in the proceedings of the lower house of parliament but would not exercise the vote and she would not get any remuneration.
The high court order disqualifying her as Lok Sabha member came on a petition of Congress worker M. Chandregowda, who had alleged irregularities in the counting of votes after the election in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145