‘Action will taken against crew of ICG ship’
Rameswaram: Severe action would be taken against crew of the Indian Coast Guard ship that collided with a fishing boat following which a fisherman drowned in the sea off Pamban coast on Friday, Tamil Nadu Handloom and Textiles Minister S Sundarraj said here on Sunday.
The minister handed over a cheque for Rs five lakh to the father of the drowned fisherman Calvin (19).
"Severe action will be taken as per law against he crew of the ICG ship", he told reporters afer vising Calvin`s house.
Sunderraj said he would recommend to the Chief Minister to provide government job for one member of the family of Calvin.
Police had yesterday registered a case under section 337 of the IPC (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) against the crew of the ship on a complaint from fishermen.
The country boat was carrying five fishermen from Pamban when the ship allegedly collided with it, resulting in the vessel breaking into two pieces. Four of them were rescued by fishermen of another boat while Calvin drowned.
The rescued fishermen alleged their boat was hit by an Indian Coast Guard ship, which was patrolling in the area. They claimed the ship did not stop after the incident.
However, a senior Coast Guard official denied involvement of their ship in the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- IBPS clerk V mains exams results to be uploaded on official website soon; notification out
- 'Walking Up With Kolkata' – This video will make you fall in love with the City of Joy