‘Action will taken against crew of ICG ship’
Rameswaram: Severe action would be taken against crew of the Indian Coast Guard ship that collided with a fishing boat following which a fisherman drowned in the sea off Pamban coast on Friday, Tamil Nadu Handloom and Textiles Minister S Sundarraj said here on Sunday.
The minister handed over a cheque for Rs five lakh to the father of the drowned fisherman Calvin (19).
"Severe action will be taken as per law against he crew of the ICG ship", he told reporters afer vising Calvin`s house.
Sunderraj said he would recommend to the Chief Minister to provide government job for one member of the family of Calvin.
Police had yesterday registered a case under section 337 of the IPC (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) against the crew of the ship on a complaint from fishermen.
The country boat was carrying five fishermen from Pamban when the ship allegedly collided with it, resulting in the vessel breaking into two pieces. Four of them were rescued by fishermen of another boat while Calvin drowned.
The rescued fishermen alleged their boat was hit by an Indian Coast Guard ship, which was patrolling in the area. They claimed the ship did not stop after the incident.
However, a senior Coast Guard official denied involvement of their ship in the mishap.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory