Christ, Buddha played a `progressive` role
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of
religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in
the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their times.
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive
role in the concrete situations prevailing during their
times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ
alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a
billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s
masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a
table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled
`The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the
ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive
role during their times.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference