Christ, Buddha played a `progressive` role
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of
religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in
the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their times.
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive
role in the concrete situations prevailing during their
times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ
alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a
billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s
masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a
table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled
`The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the
ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive
role during their times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal