Christ, Buddha played a `progressive` role
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of
religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in
the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their times.
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive
role in the concrete situations prevailing during their
times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ
alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a
billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s
masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a
table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled
`The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the
ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive
role during their times.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many Christians, Hindus to Islam?
- REVEALED: How Virat Kohli motivated team on the field - Here's what stump mic picked up
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside
- Chinese demolitions at Buddhist institute draw fire
- Narsingh Yadav missing Rio Olympics will mean India losing a medal: WFI President