Christ, Buddha played a `progressive` role
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of
religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in
the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their times.
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive
role in the concrete situations prevailing during their
times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ
alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a
billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s
masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a
table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled
`The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the
ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive
role during their times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Rio Olympics: Police train dogs to sniff out terror threat at biggest sporting extravaganza
- Photo alert! Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor spotted on the streets of London
- 'Meri Pyaari Bindu' shoot diaries: Check out Parineeti Chopra-Ayushmann Khurrana's joyride!
- Radhika Apte’s ‘Phobia’ will break stereotype of Indian horror films
- RoBoHon -World's first robot smartphone goes on sale in Japan (Watch video)!