Christ, Buddha played a `progressive` role
New Delhi: Amid controversy over portrayal of
religious figures by the Left in Kerala, CPI (M) Monday said Jesus Christ and the Buddha had played a "progressive role" in
the society in the concrete situations prevailing during their times.
"They (Christ and the Buddha) had played a progressive
role in the concrete situations prevailing during their
times," CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters here.
He was asked about the display of a painting of Christ
alongside Communist icons at an exhibition in Kerala and a
billboard carrying a political spoof on Leonardo da Vinci`s
masterpiece `The Last Supper`.
The billboard, depicting US President Barack Obama at a
table along with senior Congress and BJP leaders, was titled
`The Last Supper of Capitalism`.
Yechury said while there was no intention to belittle the
ideals of Christ or the Buddha, they had played a positive
role during their times.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida