CM asked to take over SC/ST portfolio
Thiruvananthapuram: Three scheduled castes and Tribes outfits have urged the Chief Minister Oommen Chandy to take over the SC/ST welfare portfolio to ensure proper utilisation of funds meant for these sections.
The present SC/ST minister P K Jayalakshmi had failed to utilise funds worth Rs 20 crore allotted to the scheduled classes, Adivasi Gothra Maha Sabha leader C K Janu, SC/ST development council chairman K K Narayanan and Land Reforms Committee convenor M Geethanandan said in a statement here.
The minister, however, squandered Rs 2 crore allotted for the tribal festival `Gothrayanam` held at Mananthavady recently, they alleged.
No rehabilitation scheme for scheduled classes was taken up this year though the budget had set apart Rs 20 crore for the purpose. There were 85,000 landless tribals in the state, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?