CM asked to take over SC/ST portfolio
Thiruvananthapuram: Three scheduled castes and Tribes outfits have urged the Chief Minister Oommen Chandy to take over the SC/ST welfare portfolio to ensure proper utilisation of funds meant for these sections.
The present SC/ST minister P K Jayalakshmi had failed to utilise funds worth Rs 20 crore allotted to the scheduled classes, Adivasi Gothra Maha Sabha leader C K Janu, SC/ST development council chairman K K Narayanan and Land Reforms Committee convenor M Geethanandan said in a statement here.
The minister, however, squandered Rs 2 crore allotted for the tribal festival `Gothrayanam` held at Mananthavady recently, they alleged.
No rehabilitation scheme for scheduled classes was taken up this year though the budget had set apart Rs 20 crore for the purpose. There were 85,000 landless tribals in the state, the statement said.
- Major blow to Nawaz govt as US asks Pakistan to make ‘full payment’ for F-16 fighter jets
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today