HC refuses to stay ban on pan masala
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Thursday refused to stay the state government`s ban on manufacture, storage and sale of gutka, pan masala and their variants containing tobacco and nicotine.
Declining to stay the May 22 last government order invoking the provisions of Food Safety and Standards Regulation Act, 2011 to ban the products, Justice T R Ramachandran Nair said prima facie he found no reason to interfere with the order.
However, the court directed the government to grant more time to remove stocks of the banned products from the state and asked it to issue a circular notifying the date for shifting the stock confiscated at various checkposts as well as in godowns of distributors.
The order was issued on a batch of petitions by the manufacturers of panmasala and gutka products challenging the legality of the government order and seeking a stay on it.Kerala Government had slapped the ban citing increasing incidence of diseases like oral cancer.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender