‘Instances of CPI-M eliminating political rivals’
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M in Kerala on Sunday virtually censured its Idukki district secretary MM Mani for his controversial speech in which he stated that there had been instances of the party eliminating political rivals.
As the party is faced with deep embarrassment over Mani`s utterances at a public meeting, CPI-M state Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan on Sunday said Mani had committed a "mistake" and his speech was a "deviation" from the party`s political line.
Mani`s speech had sparked a raging political row in Kerala with the Congress and BJP saying it exposed CPI-M`s "politics of violence".
His statement had come at a most difficult time for CPI-M in the state as it was on the defensive with some of its activists arrested in connection with the murder of party rebel and RMP leader TP Chandrasekharan.
Addressing reporters here, Vijayan made a strong call to party cadres, leaders and functionaries to refrain from making controversial statements at a time when the party was under a grim attack from its enemies.
Vijayan said the party had grown over the years resisting attacks from various quarters, but countering violence with violence was not the policy of CPI-M.
Congress-led UDF Government had taken note of Mani`s speech. Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said this "disclosure" was a serious matter and legal steps would be taken on it.
Mani, a senior leader in the high-range Idukki district and known to be close to Vijayan, made his controversial speech at a public meeting held at Thodupuzha on Friday.
He also made some adverse comments on Achuthanandan in his speech, alluding to the factional feud in the state unit of the party which has recently intensified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology