Rs 3 cr compensation is petty for ship owners: HC
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Monday observed
that the compensation of Rs 3 crore sought by the families of
the two fishermen killed by marines of Italian tanker Enrica
Lexie was a `petty` amount for the ship owners even as the
detention of the vessel was extended till 5 pm tomorrow.
A division bench comprising justices Ram Kumar and K
Harilal in their oral observations said the compensation
claimed by the relatives of Jelestine and Ajesh Binki was a
petty amount for the ship owners. The vessel was covered by
When the counsel representing the ship owners, attempted
to say that the bank guarantee obtained by the court was
sufficient, the bench asked how can it be a sufficient amount?
While Jelestine`s widow Doramma had sought Rs 1 crore
compensation, Binki`s teenaged sisters had sought Rs 2 crore.
The court had earlier directed the ship owners to remit a bank
guarantee of Rs 25 lakh each.
Meanwhile, Freddy, owner of St Antony, the fishing boat
on board which the fishermen were killed, today moved the
court seeking Rs 75 lakh as compensation from the ship`s
owners, claiming his craft suffered extensive damage in the
firing by the marines on February 15 off Kollam coast.
The court directed the ship owners to furnish a bank
guarantee of Rs 10 lakh in the petition.
The bench extended the detention of the vessel till 5 pm
tomorrow. Earlier, the court had directed the vessel to be
detained till 5 pm today. The vessel is presently berthed at
outer sea of Cochin Port.
The judges extended the detention to facilitate a
detailed hearing of the petition filed by Doramma.
The petition filed by Italian authorities and the two
arrested marines -- Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone
-- seeking to quash the FIR will come up before the court
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi