Rs 3 cr compensation is petty for ship owners: HC
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Monday observed
that the compensation of Rs 3 crore sought by the families of
the two fishermen killed by marines of Italian tanker Enrica
Lexie was a `petty` amount for the ship owners even as the
detention of the vessel was extended till 5 pm tomorrow.
A division bench comprising justices Ram Kumar and K
Harilal in their oral observations said the compensation
claimed by the relatives of Jelestine and Ajesh Binki was a
petty amount for the ship owners. The vessel was covered by
When the counsel representing the ship owners, attempted
to say that the bank guarantee obtained by the court was
sufficient, the bench asked how can it be a sufficient amount?
While Jelestine`s widow Doramma had sought Rs 1 crore
compensation, Binki`s teenaged sisters had sought Rs 2 crore.
The court had earlier directed the ship owners to remit a bank
guarantee of Rs 25 lakh each.
Meanwhile, Freddy, owner of St Antony, the fishing boat
on board which the fishermen were killed, today moved the
court seeking Rs 75 lakh as compensation from the ship`s
owners, claiming his craft suffered extensive damage in the
firing by the marines on February 15 off Kollam coast.
The court directed the ship owners to furnish a bank
guarantee of Rs 10 lakh in the petition.
The bench extended the detention of the vessel till 5 pm
tomorrow. Earlier, the court had directed the vessel to be
detained till 5 pm today. The vessel is presently berthed at
outer sea of Cochin Port.
The judges extended the detention to facilitate a
detailed hearing of the petition filed by Doramma.
The petition filed by Italian authorities and the two
arrested marines -- Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone
-- seeking to quash the FIR will come up before the court
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here