`Killings of scribe, family terrible incident`
New Delhi: Terming the weekend killings of a journalist and his entire family in Madhya Pradesh as a "terrible incident", the Congress Monday said the guilty should be immediately punished.
"It is most distressing to hear of such a terrible incident where not only a journalist but his entire family has been so brutally killed," Congress leader and spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
"I certainly don`t want to make a political comment, but immediately the word that comes to mind is `aaj ka gundaraj` (the rule of thugs)... this is nothing but that," Singhvi said. Madhya Pradesh is ruled by the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Senior journalist Chandrika Rai, 42, his wife Durga, 39, son Jalaj, 20, and daughter Nisha, 17, were brutally killed at their residence on the intervening night of Friday and Saturday in Umaria, some 500 km from Bhopal. The family was killed with iron rods and their bodies dumped in four rooms of Rai`s house.
"How is it possible that mafia can roam around freely and do this kind of thing to a journalist, of all the people, and to his family? I think it needs to be condemned as the most reprehensible thing," he said.
The Congress leader added the guilty should be punished immediately.
"Unless and until concrete result is immediately shown by the state government in actual punishment...I think it will be completely unpardonable," Singhvi added.
Madhya Pradesh Police have said the murders will be investigated by the Special Task Force (STF). The media fraternity and Rai`s kin have demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into the murder. Madhya Pradesh Police chief S.K. Raut, after visiting the spot, said the STF will enquire into the murders.
Rai was associated with several newspapers, including Navbharat and English daily the Hitvaada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list