Violence in Bhopal on gas disaster anniversary
Bhopal: Observance of the 27th anniversary
of the Bhopal gas disaster took a violent turn on Saturday with a
number of people, including two senior district officials,
injured in stone pelting, while protesters indulged in arson
here, police said.
Collector Nikunj Shrivastava, City Superintendent of
Police (CSP) H N Guru and some women were among those who
suffered injuries in stone pelting by protesters who staged
rail roko in support of various demands of the gas tragedy
survivors, police said.
Four police jeeps and a dozen motorcycles were set
Afire during the agitation, they said. A police jeep and an OB
van of ETV news channel were damaged in stone pelting.
The agitators resorted to rail blockade at Barkhedi,
Aishbagh and Chhola Road railway crossings and squatted on the
tracks, disrupting traffic on the busy Delhi-Chennai route.
When police asked the protesters to leave, they
indulged in stone pelting.
Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) Ghanshyam Singh said
the traffic was disrupted on the Delhi-Chennai route. Many
trains were stranded at Vidisha, Itarsi and Habibganj stations
due to the agitation.
Section 144 of CrPC, that bans gathering of five or
more persons, was imposed in Aishbagh area, police said.
Police force has been deployed in strength in the
The rail roko call was given by NGOs working for the
rights of the gas affected victims, who are demanding adequate
compensation, among other things.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced