Adarsh society scam: Phatak, Tiwari get bail
Mumbai: Former civic chief Jairaj Phatak and ex-state information commissioner Ramanand Tiwari, arrested in the Adarsh society scam, were on Thursday granted bail by a special CBI court here as the agency failed to file the charge sheet within the stipulated 60-day period.
The duo, who had been in custody since their arrest on April 3, had filed their bail applications on Monday.
The bail plea filed by Pathak`s lawyer Swapna Kode contended that he is entitled to be released as the chargesheet was not filed within 60 days and the stipulated period came to an end on June 4.
"All the said offences are punishable for less than 10 years and... Therefore the CBI ought to have filed the charge sheet within 60 days from the date of his production before this court," said the bail application.
Tiwari`s lawyer Sadanand Shetty had also contended that he is entitled to get bail on the same grounds.
Earlier on May 29, the sessions court granted bail to seven accused - IAS officer Pradeep Vyas, former deputy secretary in urban development department PV Deshmukh, Brigadier (retd) MM Wanchoo, retired Defence Estates Officer RC Thakur, Major General (Retd) AR Kumar, Major Gen (Retd) TK Kaul and former MLC Kanhaiyyalal Gidwani - after they moved the court for bail.
Their 60 day period ended earlier as they were arrested on March 20 and 21.
All the accused have been charged with criminal conspiracy under IPC and various sections under the Prevention of Corruption Act and Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act.
The scam pertains to alleged irregularities in construction and allotment of apartments in the 31-storeyed high rise, originally meant for families of Kargil war heroes, in the upmarket Colaba area in south Mumbai.
The Bombay High Court is monitoring the probe being conducted by CBI, Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax. The next date for hearing is June 18.
The CBI is likely to file chargesheet this month in this case as per the directive of the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves