Agitating farmers rounded up at Nashik
Nashik: More than 240 farmers, including 35
women were rounded up at Gavandgaon village here after they
staged a rasta roko demanding release of water from
Palkhed canal, police said on Friday.
Two agitating farmers were injured when police
lathicharged them to disperse the crowd, Thursday evening.
The arrested farmers were brought to Nashik central jail
as they remained firm on their agitation, police said adding
the situation at gavandgaon is normal and peaceful on Firday.
According to Ankush Desai, Executive Engineer,
Irrigation department, water planning lies in the hands of the
District Collector and the department can`t do much about it
without required orders.
Farmers` leader Vijay Pathade has alleged that police
tried to curb their agitation and warned to continue it till
they get water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown