Agitating farmers rounded up at Nashik
Nashik: More than 240 farmers, including 35
women were rounded up at Gavandgaon village here after they
staged a rasta roko demanding release of water from
Palkhed canal, police said on Friday.
Two agitating farmers were injured when police
lathicharged them to disperse the crowd, Thursday evening.
The arrested farmers were brought to Nashik central jail
as they remained firm on their agitation, police said adding
the situation at gavandgaon is normal and peaceful on Firday.
According to Ankush Desai, Executive Engineer,
Irrigation department, water planning lies in the hands of the
District Collector and the department can`t do much about it
without required orders.
Farmers` leader Vijay Pathade has alleged that police
tried to curb their agitation and warned to continue it till
they get water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?