Another prostitution racket busted in Mumbai
Mumbai: Continuing their drive against prostitution in the city and suburbs, the social service branch of Mumbai police raided a bar in the early hours of Tuesday and rescued 17 girls, including 3-4 minors.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) of Mumbai Social Service (SS) branch, Vasant Dhoble, said the girls were being supplied as sex workers. “We received information that many minor girls are being pushed into prostitution in this bar. So, the SS (Social Service) branch carried out raids in the bar, and in total 17 girls were present inside the bar, out of which 3-4 girls could be minors,” said Dhoble.
Dhoble added that the members of the bar worked in close coordination with each other with an aim to protect themselves from being caught. “Total six people have been arrested from the bar, which includes the manager, the watchman. The management and other people like the cashier and manager used to supply girls for an amount ranging from 1,500 to 7,000 rupees. A case has been registered against them under PITA (Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act) and the police will investigate further,” added Dhoble.
According to media reports, more than a hundred girls have been rescued in last one month from bars, saloons and massage centres, which were functioning as prostitution dens, and cases have been registered against the people arrested under the PITA. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter