ATS files chargesheet in Mumbai 13/7 blasts case
Mumbai: Almost a year after three bomb blasts shook the city killing 27 people and injuring many others, ATS on Friday filed a 4000-page chargesheet in a special MCOCA court against four accused in the case.
The four accused, Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija and Haroon Naik, are facing trial under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), IPC and other laws.
A copy of the confession given by Nadeem before a magistrate has also been filed in the court.
Five others accused belonging to Indian Mujahideen, including Waqas, Tabrez and Yasin Bhatkal, who are suspected to have played a key role in engineering the blasts, are absconding.
According to the ATS, Bhatkal, Waqas and Tarbez had rented a third floor flat in Byculla`s Habib building where they allegedly assembled explosives before triggering blasts at Dadar, Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House.
The 2011 bombings were a series of three coordinated bomb explosions at different locations in the peak evening hours. The blasts occurred at Opera House, Zaveri Bazaar, and Dadar West, leaving 27 dead and 130 injured.
Forensic experts, who had collected samples from the terror sites, had initially opined that ammonium nitrate mixed with fuel oil was used in the explosives while digital timers were used to execute the blasts.
As the probe progressed, ATS officials had stumbled upon the Byculla flat where the suspects had hidden and assembled the explosives. Forensic experts subsequently had collected various articles including a computer and clothes of the inmates of the Byculla room for examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says