BJP slams Maha govt for `complete` security failure
New Delhi: Slamming the Maharashtra government for "complete failure" of security and intelligence network, BJP on Sunday said the authorities there have a lot to answer about the hooliganism at Azad Maidan in Mumbai.
It demanded the arrest of those who took law into their own hands in Mumbai yesterday.
Party spokesperson Nirmala Sitaraman said the government there "allowed this to happen" despite been informed by the Maharashtra ATS about infiltration of terrorist groups into the state.
"It is a complete failure of the security and intelligence network of the Maharashtra government...I think, they have a lot to answer as to how they allowed this kind of hooliganism to happen in the heart of the city creating a fear psychosis among the people," Sitaraman told reporters here.
She said had intelligence been sufficient, such an incident could have been avoided as people came from all across armed with iron rods and hockey sticks.
Two persons were killed and 14 were injured when a protest in Mumbai`s Azad Maidan against Assam riots turned violent with demonstrators torching vehicles, including media vans, and pelting stones, prompting the police to fire after baton charge and use of tear gas and rubber bullets failed to disperse the unruly mob.
She, however, maintained the police despite of being provoked remained quite and watched even as several of them were injured and women constables were molested.
The Mumbai BJP unit would be meeting Chief Minister Prithivraj Chavan to demand the arrest of the attackers, she said, adding, "We condemn it".
The party also took on the state government for "failure" to check the violence at Azad Maidan to which it had earlier denied access to "peaceful" Team Anna protestors besides workers of the party.
She also condemned the attacks on northeastern people residing in north coastal Andhra Pradesh and south Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal