BJP slams Maha govt for `complete` security failure
New Delhi: Slamming the Maharashtra government for "complete failure" of security and intelligence network, BJP on Sunday said the authorities there have a lot to answer about the hooliganism at Azad Maidan in Mumbai.
It demanded the arrest of those who took law into their own hands in Mumbai yesterday.
Party spokesperson Nirmala Sitaraman said the government there "allowed this to happen" despite been informed by the Maharashtra ATS about infiltration of terrorist groups into the state.
"It is a complete failure of the security and intelligence network of the Maharashtra government...I think, they have a lot to answer as to how they allowed this kind of hooliganism to happen in the heart of the city creating a fear psychosis among the people," Sitaraman told reporters here.
She said had intelligence been sufficient, such an incident could have been avoided as people came from all across armed with iron rods and hockey sticks.
Two persons were killed and 14 were injured when a protest in Mumbai`s Azad Maidan against Assam riots turned violent with demonstrators torching vehicles, including media vans, and pelting stones, prompting the police to fire after baton charge and use of tear gas and rubber bullets failed to disperse the unruly mob.
She, however, maintained the police despite of being provoked remained quite and watched even as several of them were injured and women constables were molested.
The Mumbai BJP unit would be meeting Chief Minister Prithivraj Chavan to demand the arrest of the attackers, she said, adding, "We condemn it".
The party also took on the state government for "failure" to check the violence at Azad Maidan to which it had earlier denied access to "peaceful" Team Anna protestors besides workers of the party.
She also condemned the attacks on northeastern people residing in north coastal Andhra Pradesh and south Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception