Dr Nasiruddin Ansari is Bhiwandi Deputy Mayor
Thane: Dr Nasiruddin Ansari, from the powerloom town of Bhiwandi in Thane district, got elected as the Deputy Mayor of Bhiwandi Nizampur Nagarpalika even without voting for himself.
The Konark Vikas Aghadi (KVA), led by Vilas Patil, gave a big blow to Congress when it kept it away from power and grabbed the corporation with its Pratibha Vilas Patil being chosen as Mayor, sources said.
The KVA succeeded in keeping two of the Congress corporators, including Ansari, away from the elections.
Ansari did not participate in the mayoral elections and was the nominee for the post of deputy mayor.
He was not present and did not vote for his success but those present in the house totalling 45 voted in his favour and elected him yesterday, sources said.
In fact, in a bid to capture power in the corporation, Congress, with a strong membership of 26 corporators, sought the support of its bitter rival Shiv Sena, which readily agreed as it had only 16 members.
However, the alliance of the Congress with Sena did not go down well with the Congress leaders and activists in the powerloom town, which is minority-dominated.
Even local MP Suresh Tawre was opposed to the alliance, and he expressed his displeasure to the higher-ups in New Delhi, sources said.
Political observers in the state and district, in particular, are of the opinion that the decision of the Congress to join hands with Sena was suicidal and will have a long lasting effect on the party`s prospects, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Religious tensions bristle in Myanmar village after mosque destroyed
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand