End `Nakusha` campaign: Girls no more unwanted
Mumbai: As many as 280 girls were renamed in
Satara district on Saturday as part of the administration`s campaign
to end the practice in rural Maharashtra to name a girl child
as `Nakusha` (unwanted).
"The government identified girls named `Nakusha` in Satara
district and organised a renaming ceremony," District
Collector N Ramaswami told agency over phone.
"Some girls were renamed Aishwarya, while others got
names like Pooja, Neeta, Asha. The new names were chosen by
the family, either the parents or in some cases, by the grown
up girls themselves," he said.
The function was organised by the Zilla Parishad (ZP) of
the Western Maharashtra district. NCP MP Supriya Sule was
among those present.
"We identified 280 such names (Nakusha) from school
records," Ramaswami added.
"Zilla Parishad officials had surveyed the district and
decided on the renaming after speaking to the parents. The
officials felt this was a small step towards changing the
mindset in the rural areas," another official said.
In some parts of rural Maharashtra, if a girl is born
when the parents wanted a boy, she is named `Nakusha`. The ZP
undertook a survey and identified such girls, ranging from
infants to 16 years of age.
"Typically, if a rural couple has one or two girls, they
dislike it when their third child also turns out to be a girl.
They then name her `Nakusha`. Other derogatory names given to
girls are `Dagadi` and `Dhondi` which means stone," the
The ZP is conducting the campaign in association with `Lek
Vachva` (Save The Girl Child) project, which seeks to save the
female foetus from illegal sex determination.
While Patan taluka had the highest number of Nakushas
(92), Koregoan and Wai talukas did not have any. The other
Nakushas were located in Khandala, Phaltan, Khatav, Maan,
Karad, Mahabaleshwar and Jawali areas of the district.
"The name `Nakusha` is discriminatory towards women. It
is a reflection of the patriarchal mindset of society and
indicates the anger of the parents on the birth of a girl
child," NCP MLC Vinayak Mete, who is conducting a campaign
against female foeticide in his native Beed district, said.
"Some of these girls say they feel ashamed whenever their
name is called out in school or social and family gatherings,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo