Mortal remains of NKP Salve laid to rest in Nagpur
Nagpur: The mortal remains of veteran
Congress leader and former Union Energy Minister N K P Salve
were laid to rest today at the Christian Cemetery in Jaripatka
Salve, who was accorded a state funeral, died at a
private Hospital in Delhi yesterday after brief illness and
age related problems. His body was brought last night from
Delhi by a service flight and kept in the state at his Sadar
residence for last tributes.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan,
accompanied by Union Minister for Heavy Industries Praful
Patel and cabinet colleague Information and Broadcasting
Minister Ambika Soni paid their respects to the departed
leader this morning.
The body was taken in a solemn procession to the All
Saints Cathedral (Protestant) where Bishop Rev Paul Dupare led
the prayer service. A ceremonial salute was accorded and the
coffin was drapped in tri-colour and later kept in a flower
decked vehicle which carried it to the cemetery for burial.
When the veteran Parliamentarian`s coffin was lowered in
the grave, 21 rifle shots were fired by a contingent of Armed
Police as mourners led by his son noted legal luminary Harish
Salve and daughter Arundhati bid a tearful farewell to him.
All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary and
local MP Vilas Muttemwar, AICC secretary Mohan Prakash, MPCC
President Manikrao Thakre, Maharashtra Ministers Nitin Raut,
Rajendra Mulak (MoS), Datta Meghe, MP, former MPs Jogendra
Kawade and Jambuwantrao Dhote, former ministers Ranjeet
Deshmukh, Anees Ahmad, City Mayor Anil Sole were present on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30