Mumbai eve-teasing murder: People demand justice
Mumbai: The four accused, arrested for allegedly murdering two youths for resisting eve-teasing in Mumbai’s suburban Amboli, were on Friday sent to judicial custody till November 18.
A fortnight after the shocking incident, voices demanding justice for the two bravehearts have grown louder.
The family members, close friends and thousands of local residents of Mumbai have slammed Mumbai Police for its slow action and demanded speedier justice for the two young victims.
The friends of Reuben Fernandez (28) and Keenan Santos (25) have claimed that they had telephoned the city Police Control Room (PCR) number "100" at the time of the incident, but it was kept on hold for at least 10 to 15 minutes, resulting in late arrival of police.
They claimed that had the police responded immediately and reached the spot on time, the murders could have been averted.
On October 20, Reuben and Keenan were attacked with machetes by a group of four after the duo objected to their indecent behaviour against girls with whom they had gone on an outing.
Keenan died on the spot, while Fernandez died in a hospital on October 24.
Santos and Fernandez, along with five others, including three girls, had gone to the bar to have dinner and watch a cricket match on a giant screen put up there. After a while, they came out of the restaurant and were standing near a pan-shop when the incident had occurred.
The four accused were later apprehended and produced before a local court which extended their police custody for one more day. The accused have confessed to the crime before the Mumbai Police and it has also recovered the murder weapons from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez