Mumbai eve-teasing murder: People demand justice
Mumbai: The four accused, arrested for allegedly murdering two youths for resisting eve-teasing in Mumbai’s suburban Amboli, were on Friday sent to judicial custody till November 18.
A fortnight after the shocking incident, voices demanding justice for the two bravehearts have grown louder.
The family members, close friends and thousands of local residents of Mumbai have slammed Mumbai Police for its slow action and demanded speedier justice for the two young victims.
The friends of Reuben Fernandez (28) and Keenan Santos (25) have claimed that they had telephoned the city Police Control Room (PCR) number "100" at the time of the incident, but it was kept on hold for at least 10 to 15 minutes, resulting in late arrival of police.
They claimed that had the police responded immediately and reached the spot on time, the murders could have been averted.
On October 20, Reuben and Keenan were attacked with machetes by a group of four after the duo objected to their indecent behaviour against girls with whom they had gone on an outing.
Keenan died on the spot, while Fernandez died in a hospital on October 24.
Santos and Fernandez, along with five others, including three girls, had gone to the bar to have dinner and watch a cricket match on a giant screen put up there. After a while, they came out of the restaurant and were standing near a pan-shop when the incident had occurred.
The four accused were later apprehended and produced before a local court which extended their police custody for one more day. The accused have confessed to the crime before the Mumbai Police and it has also recovered the murder weapons from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof