Retired officials for drought mitigation progs
Mumbai: To ensure there is no shortage of manpower for implementation of drought mitigation programmes, the Maharashtra government will hire retired officials on contract basis at the district level for a period of one year.
Retired officers from Groundwater Surveys Development Agency (GSDA), Agricultural Department, Water Resources Department and Revenue Department will be hired at the district level on contract basis till June 30, 2013, sources said.
According to officials, the state government`s drought mitigation strategy was to conserve rain water for drinking water, fodder and agriculture.
Optimum utilisation of rainfall received to salvage Kharif crops, increase water storage, recharge and strengthen existing drinking water sources, enhancing fodder production, providing alternative wage employment through MGNREGA will be some other steps of the strategy.
To maintain transparency, they said, video shooting of all works undertaken for drought mitigation will be made compulsory. Global Positioning System (GPS) co-ordinates of places where these works are being carried out and the video shooting of the works would be uploaded on the website of the agriculture department.
The government also plans to provide interest subsidy for conversion of Short Term Co-operative Loans.
The officials said due to water scarcity the farmers were unable to repay before due date. Defaulters are not eligible to avail fresh short term loan. Conversion of short term loan into medium term loan requires Rs 2060-crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon