Sankaranarayanan sworn as Maha Guv for 2nd term
Mumbai: Kateekal Sankaranarayanan was sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra for a second term on Monday.
At a function held at the Darbar Hall of the Raj Bhavan here, Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, Justice Mohit Shah, administered the oath of office to Sankaranarayanan.
Chief Secretary Ratnakar Gaikwad read out the Warrant of Appointment of the Governor issued by the President.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Maharashtra Legislative Council Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh, Assembly Speaker Dilip Walse Patil, Kerala Assembly Speaker G Karthikeyan, PWD and Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal and Minister for Protocol Suresh Shetty greeted Sankaranarayanan on being reappointed as Governor for the second consecutive term.
The Governor was presented a ceremonial Guard of Honour by the Navy on the occasion and a 17-gun salute was also given to him by the Naval Coast Battery soon after he arrived on the raised platform to inspect the Guard of Honour.
Sankaranarayanan completed his first five-year term as Governor of Maharashtra on February 2, 2012. The President by an order dated April 28, 2012 granted him a fresh term as Governor of the state.
Born on October 15, 1932 in Kerala, Sankaranarayanan`s initiation into politics started early when in 1946 he became a member of a students’ organisation. From 1957 to 1964 he was the General Secretary of the District Congress Committee, Palghat and its president from 1964 to 1968.
Between 1968 and 1972, he served as the General Secretary of the undivided Congress. In 1972, he was appointed president of the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee, a post he held till 1977. Sankaranarayanan also served as the Working Committee Member of the AICC.
Sankaranarayanan was elected to the Kerala Assembly several times as a candidate of the Indian National Congress. He was elected from Thrithala, Sreekrishnapuram, Ottappalam and Palghat constituencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city