Shiv Sena opposes auto strike called by Sharad Rao
Mumbai: Shiv Sena has opposed the autorickshaw strike called by union leader Sharad Rao on Monday in the protest against mandatory installation of e-meters among other demands.
Former MLC Anil Parab, who heads Sena`s auto union, told reporters that its 30,000 members would ply their autos tomorrow and are prepared to "teach a lesson" to the elements trying to intimidate the automen.
"We agree there are several issues that need to be addressed. But, going on strike is not a solution. The government agreed to revise the minimum fare by rupee one. The other demands like hike for every additional kilometer are pending. But, it is wrong to strike and cause trouble to people when the issues are being discussed with the government authorities," he said.
Parab said it was the duty of the government to protect those automen who defy the diktat and decide to work in the interest of commuters. "Shiv Sena will take to the streets if the automen are threatened to stay off the roads," he added.
However, Sharad Rao has claimed that 15 lakh autos would stay off the streets from Sunday midnight and protests would be held outside the office of the transport commissioner.
Apart from Sena, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) too has opposed the boycott call.
The Sharad Rao-led union has raised objection to compulsory fitting of e-meters in autorickshaws. Rao has also sought extra permits, minimum fare hike from Rs 11 to Rs 16 and that of Rs 7 to Rs 9 for every additional kilometer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog