Slums deliberately increased in Mumbai: Raj
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray today blamed vested interests for rise in slums in the metropolis.
"The people`s representatives increase slums with the objective of bringing them under the purview of Slum Rehabilitation Act (SRA)," alleged Raj, after meeting Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Commissioner Sitaram Kunte here.
"The slums in the city do not rise on their own, they are deliberately increased," Raj said, while regretting that political parties were not acting tough against the errant corporators or MLAs.
"Whip is not cracked against those who are responsible for increasing the slums. Concerned ward officers or police officers are not suspended in this connection," he said.
He said if he found anybody from his party involved in such activities, he would dismiss him.
He said the infrastructure of the island city is not enough to sustain its mammoth population. "Looking at the increasing population of the metropolis there is not enough infrastructure for it," the MNS chief said.
Raj questioned as to why cooperation of private players was not sought for the development of the city.
"The developers and builders should be entrusted with responsibility of maintaining roads and gardens in their areas, which will be beneficial for the people, he said.
Raising concern towards the scarcity of BMC hospitals in the city, he said these hospitals were mostly occupied by people from other states.
He also pressed for pulling down illegal structures on the banks of Mithi river, which was largely responsible for flooding in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL