Sohrab: Fake CBI officers assured help to accused
Mumbai: Two fake CBI officers, arrested
recently in Mumbai, had approached some policemen accused in
the fake encounter case of Sohrabbuddin Sheikh case and
promised them help in diluting charges against them.
The two conmen -- Ashwini Kumar Sharma and Rajesh Ranjan
-- who have been arrested by the CBI earlier for their alleged
role in duping people, had approached an accused IPS officer
and promised him help in diluting the case against him and
others in return for payment of a few lakh rupees, sources
privy to the probe said today.
The sources said Sharma and Rajan, who were posing as CBI
officers, had approached the accused people through a
Gujarat-based businessman, who is at present on the run and
has not turned himself to the CBI despite several summons
served to him.
The case became murkier when one of the accused turned
out to be a relative of the Superintendent of Police of CBI
who was probing the Sohrabbuddin case prompting the higher ups
in the agency to transfer the officer immediately and also
instituting an in-house enquiry to probe the allegations.
According to the sources, the allegations against the CBI
officer who was shifted to Delhi had not been found true in
so far any complicity on the part of the officer was
The CBI stumbled upon the role of the conmen recently
when one of them was again arrested by the Mumbai police for
allegedly duping a businessman.
The information was passed on to the CBI which was
relevant to their investigations into the Sohrabuddin case.
Sharma and Ranjan, who were arrested in August last year,
have allegedly cheated over 200 persons including film
personalities and businessmen. According to the agency, the
accused have been cheating people since 2006 by posing as CBI
The duo`s luck however ran out when they approached film
producer Rakesh Roshan seeking money to settle a civil matter
the filmmaker was embroiled in. Roshan allegedly paid a huge
amount to the conmen and then approached the anti-corruption
wing of CBI when his matter was not settled as assured.
Sharma would take his victims to government offices
claiming to have contacts there and would ask them to sit
outside. He had in fact once visited Tanna House, CBI`s Mumbai
According to CBI, Sharma had also approached R P Meena,
commissioner of Income Tax, arrested in a graft case, and had
sought money from him to settle the case registered against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview