Upgrade disaster management team: RTI activist
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) should upgrade its Disaster Management team by appointing qualified and experienced staff, in the aftermath of the Mantralaya blaze which claimed five lives, an RTI activist has said.
"I would like to bring to your kind notice that there is urgent need to upgrade and improve Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai`s Disaster Managemant dept situated at the head-office basement," Athak Seva Sangh chairman Anil Galgali said, in a letter to Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte.
"The location of the department should be also suitable, as the basement in any building is not a suitable place, as in the case of the calamity, the basement is the most dangerous place to be in," he said.
It is alarming that after the fire broke out at Mantralaya, chief fire officer Suhas Joshi got information about the fire from one of his friends and not through official channels, Galgali said.
This incident in itself is an example the ineffective system that is in place, he said.
It has repeatedly come to light that the attendants at the disaster management department of BMC are unaware of several incidents/accidents even after the fire department has attended the call and return to their bases, the RTI activist said. This shows lack of coordination as the fire department is also an arm of the civic body, he added.
The disaster management department, located in the BMC head-office, is nothing more than a call centre, wherein people`s complaints about potholes or drains are duly noted in the register only to be transferred to the respective department, he said.
"I suggest that services of a senior retired armed forces officer be taken for smoother functioning of Mumbai in an event of crisis as the current bosses are not qualified and it has been proved that they have miserably failed to rise to the occasion," he said.
The commissioner should augment the resources and manpower of the fire department as the population of Mumbai has been multiplying at a rapid pace, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared