262 ex-militants returned to India via Nepal border: Govt
New Delhi: 262 ex-militants have returned to India via the Nepal border since 2010, the Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
"As per Rehabilitation Policy notified by the government of Jammu and Kashmir in 2010, Joint Check Post at Wagah (Attari), Salamabad, Chakan-da Bagh crossing on the LoC besides, Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi have been designated as routes for ex-militants of J&K who had crossed over to PoK/Pakistan but have given up militant activities due to change of heart and are willing to return to the state. However, no ex-militant has been able to access these routes for return so far.
"The ex-militants have been coming back via Nepal border because there is no visa regime between India and Nepal for Indian citizen. As per report of J and K police, in the past three years, from 2010 to 2012 and the current year up to April 10, 262 ex-militants have returned via Nepal," Minister of State for Home RPN Singh said in a written reply.
"All persons returning via Nepal are being screened in Joint Interrogation Centre (JIC) and are subjected to due legal procedures through appropriate Court of Law. During the period of arrest of such returnees, all relevant agencies have access to joint interrogation. Those bailed out by the Court of Law are kept under regular surveillance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui