4 states declare drought in more than 390 taluks
New Delhi: Four states -- Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan -- have declared drought in over 390 taluks so far and central teams will visit these states to assess the situation, Parliament was informed today.
In a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said four states have declared drought so far. "The central teams have been constituted to visit these states for assessing the situation."
Rainfall deficiency is 12 per cent so far. The ministry is closely monitoring monsoon situation along with India Meteorological Department and state governments, he said.
According to the data placed before Parliament, maximum number of taluks declared drought-hit were in Karnataka at 142, followed by Gujarat (132 taluks), Maharashtra (122 taluks) and Rajasthan (five districts).
Replying to another question on the impact of drought on foodgrains production, Pawar said, "It is too early to assess impact of deficiency in rainfall on production of crops during the current year."
However, the Centre has introduced diesel subsidy to offset the cost of diesel used for pumping for providing supplementary and protective irrigation to standing crops in drought-affected areas, he said.
He further said that the government has also enhanced ceiling on subsidies on seeds of cereals, pulses and oilseeds to partially recompense the farmers for additional expenditure incurred by them in resowing or purchasing drought tolerant variety of seeds.
Other measures taken include channelising funds available under various flagship schemes for drought relief activities, up-scaling central scheme on feed and fodder and waiver of import duty on oil, he added.
In a memoranda submitted to the Centre, Karnataka has sought an assistance of Rs 11,488.96 crore, Rajasthan Rs 7,424.13 crore, Gujarat Rs 18,673.37 crore and Maharasthra has demanded Rs 3,011.61 crore to mitigate drought effect, the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark