50 IAF aircraft crashed since 2008
New Delhi: Fifty IAF aircraft have crashed since 2008, killing 17 pilots, 18 service personnel and six civilians, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Rajya Sabha today.
In reply to a written question, he also said one Su-30 MKI aircraft crashed over Pokhran Range in Jaisalmer during Exercise Iron Fist in February.
He provided details of the crashes involving IAF`s fighter aircraft and helicopters between 2008-09 to 2011-12.
Most number of 12 crashes each took place in 2009-10 and 2010-11. In 2009-10, eight MiG series planes, two Su-30 MKI and two helicopters crashed. In 2010-11, six MiG series fighters and equal number of helicopters crashed.
"In the above accidents, a total of 17 pilots and 18 service personnel were killed. Also, six civilians were killed and 25 injured," Antony said.
Major reasons of aircraft accidents, he said, include technical defect and human error and every IAF aircraft accident is thoroughly investigated by a court of inquiry (CoI) to ascertain its cause and remedial measures are taken accordingly to check their recurrence in future.
In reply to a question whether government plans to provide bigger aircraft for transportation of defence forces, Antony said, "India is jointly developing a Multi-Role Transport Aircraft (MTA), in 15-20 ton payload category, with Russia."
For undertaking design, development and production of the aircraft, a joint venture company Multi Role Transport Aircraft Limited was incorporated with HAL.
The aircraft is being jointly developed along with Rosoboronexport as Russian partners. "Preliminary Design Phase (PDP) activities of MTA have commenced on December, 2012," Antony said.
Replying to a question on purchase of bunker buster rifles, he said, "The RFI for Anti-Material Rifles and Breaching Munitions was uploaded on the website of the Defence Ministry in July 2012 with a view to obtain information for Original Equipment Manufacturers about the product."
The Qualitative Requirements are still being formulated, he said. Antony refused to divulge any information "in the interest of national security" whether DRDO proposes to have a joint development program with Israel to develop Indian version of its Iron Drone systems for protection against missiles and rockets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`