55 villages to get broadband connectivity: Pitroda
New Delhi: Fifty-five village panchayats will hop-on the information super highway in the next few weeks as part of an ambitious UPA-II initiative to connect 2.5 lakh local government bodies through broadband.
This was disclosed by Sam Pitroda, Advisor to Prime Minister on Public Information Infrastructure and Innovations at a conference -- `Decade of Innovation: India @ Year 2` -- organised here by the Department of Science and Technology and CII.
He said connecting 55 villages through broadband in four states including in Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh was part of a pilot project of a larger initiative to create a public information infrastructure which seeks to improve public delivery mechanism.
The project to link 2.5 lakh local government bodies through broadband would cost the national exchequer between USD six-seven billion.
"We expect this project to be operational in the next 18 months," Pitroda said.
The broadband connectivity to villages would help speed up public delivery services including issuance of birth and death certificates, depositing of pension in bank accounts, maintenance of land records, extension of agriculture-related services and healthcare benefits.
The next stage would be computerisation of all court, police and prison records as well as government files.
He said a part of the project, in the form of the National Knowledge Network, has already been operationalised and has connected universities, educational and research institution through high-speed networks.
The broadband connectivity for gram panchayats will help improving delivery of public services and getting real time feedback.
Besides, this will help in training of panchayat and other grassroots functionaries and empowering the community through e-library.
The government had approved the proposal to connect all 2,50,000 gram panchayats through optical fibre communication in October last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad