660 Nirbhaya Centres for women violence victims
New Delhi: At least 660 rape crisis centres will be established across the country and named as Nirbhaya centres, as a tribute to the victim of December 16, 2012 Delhi gang-rape case.
The centres will be set up in all the 640 districts and 20 additional locations in the country and the project will cost 477 crores approximately, Women and Child Development Ministry officials said.
The Women and Child Development Ministry has already prepared the concept note which has been approved by the Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) and has been sent to various stakeholders like Ministry of Law, Finance, Tribal Affairs, Health, Social Justice and Empowerment and Minority Affairs seeking their suggestions.
These Nirbhaya Centres will act as one stop centre for women victims of molestation, rape, sexual assault, domestic violence and provide them medical assistance, police assistance, psycho-social support and counselling, legal aid and temporary shelter.
Under the medical assistance, victims of violence can approach the Nirbhaya centres where they will be provided medical assistance like referral to hospital and assisted in filing FIR. They will be counselled, provided legal aid and short stay with food and clothing at the centre itself along with the video conferencing facility.
"A retired police officer will posted at the centres to facilitate prompt and proper filing of FIR by the Ministry of Home Affairs, state or District. A list of lawyers will give legal aid to the victims.
"Nirbhaya centres initially will operate in rented premises and the shelter facility for the victims will be also arranged at the centre itself," said a senior official from the WCD Ministry.
A National Taskforce will be created under the
Chairpersonship of the Secretary of WCD and comprising of representatives from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Health, Law and Justice, NALSA to monitor and evaluate the functioning of all the centres annually, the concept note says.
Further, a Project Management Unit (PMU) will be set up which will act as the Secretariat to the National Task Force.
The Centre will be open 24 hours with referral services. For administrative and functional autonomy, the Centre will be registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
The overall management of the centre will be undertaken by local management committee`s comprising of District Magistrate, Superitendent of Police, District Judge, Chairperson of the Bar Council, Chief Medical Officer, District Panchayat Officer and members of the Civil Society.
The move is in line with the promise made by WCD minister Maneka Gandhi following the alleged gangrape of two teenage Dalit sisters in Badaun district of Uttar Pradesh after she took charge as the Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’