72 turtles seized from Kalka Mail, 1 held
Howrah: 72 turtles were on Thursday recovered during a routine check of Kalka Mail at Howrah station here and one person was arrested in this connection, a Railway Police Force official said.
Rony Basak (35) was nabbed with the bagful of turtles when the RPF personnel apprehended a group of five persons alighting from Kalka Mail which reached here this afternoon, they added.
While the others managed to flee, RPF personnel nabbed Basak, who they said, confessed smuggling the turtles from Kanpur to sell them at the Gariahat market in south Kolkata.
Further investigation was on, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra