72 turtles seized from Kalka Mail, 1 held
Howrah: 72 turtles were on Thursday recovered during a routine check of Kalka Mail at Howrah station here and one person was arrested in this connection, a Railway Police Force official said.
Rony Basak (35) was nabbed with the bagful of turtles when the RPF personnel apprehended a group of five persons alighting from Kalka Mail which reached here this afternoon, they added.
While the others managed to flee, RPF personnel nabbed Basak, who they said, confessed smuggling the turtles from Kanpur to sell them at the Gariahat market in south Kolkata.
Further investigation was on, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference