A lot needs to be done to empower women: Prez
New Delhi: Appreciating the extraordinary
roles played by women in different spheres, President Pratibha Patil today said "more works" needs be done to empower women to make them self sufficient.
"Women can play an important role in focusing on issues
related to gender inequality, ways to eliminate poverty and on
social practices that are disadvantageous to the development
and empowerment of women and the girl child. Women`s
empowerment is an important field where more work, needs to be
done," Patil said in her message to the International Women`s
Day, to be observed tomorrow.
Pointing out its importance, she said the day is to
celebrate the spirit of ordinary women, who have played
extraordinary roles in shaping their families, communities,
society and countries.
"At the same time, it is a day to reflect on the progress
made in achieving the goal of all-round development of women, and of implementing a pro-active agenda of change," the President said, while greeting them for their continuing role
and relentless effort in shaping the destiny of country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees