A lot needs to be done to empower women: Prez
New Delhi: Appreciating the extraordinary
roles played by women in different spheres, President Pratibha Patil today said "more works" needs be done to empower women to make them self sufficient.
"Women can play an important role in focusing on issues
related to gender inequality, ways to eliminate poverty and on
social practices that are disadvantageous to the development
and empowerment of women and the girl child. Women`s
empowerment is an important field where more work, needs to be
done," Patil said in her message to the International Women`s
Day, to be observed tomorrow.
Pointing out its importance, she said the day is to
celebrate the spirit of ordinary women, who have played
extraordinary roles in shaping their families, communities,
society and countries.
"At the same time, it is a day to reflect on the progress
made in achieving the goal of all-round development of women, and of implementing a pro-active agenda of change," the President said, while greeting them for their continuing role
and relentless effort in shaping the destiny of country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket