Action plan soon to address declining child sex ratio: Govt
New Delhi: Concerned over the constantly declining child sex ratio in the country, the government on Thursday said that it would come up with a national plan of action soon to address the "serious problem."
The child sex ratio in the country, according to census 2011, is 914 girls for 1000 boys.
"This is a serious problem leading to more forced marriages, trafficking, violence against women and an imbalance in the country`s population," the Women and Child Development Ministry (WCD) said.
Addressing a function here on National Girl Child Day, WCD Secretary Prem Narain said the Ministry is coming up with a national plan of action to improve child sex ratio through "a concerted effort will be reflected from most of ministries" to address the problem.
WCD Minister Krishna Tirath had recently held consultations to formulate the action plan.
She had held discussions with representatives of various ministries of HRD, Social Justice and Empowerment, Water and Sanitation, Health and Family Welfare, Panchayat and Rural Development, Planning Commission, and with members of civil society organisations, advocates, radiologists, gynaecologists and doctors.
Representatives from UNFPA, UNICEF, and UNDP also had participated in the consultations.
The Minister told the function today that declining child sex ratio, in its present nature and scale, is a cause of urgency and concern.
Child sex ratio is a powerful indicator of the social response and attitude towards the girl child, she said.
According to the officials, some states including Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra have consistently shown low population of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video