Adopt citizen-centric role, Khurshid urges passport officers
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Monday urged passport officers to adopt a citizen-centric role and for measures that facilitate speedier and courteous service.
Inaugurating a two-day Passport Officer`s Conference at the Jawahar Lal Nehru Bhavan, Khurshid declared June 24 as "Passport Seva Divas", as the Passport Act 1967 was enacted on this day.
The Act lays down the foundation of a sound legal framework for issuance of passports and other travel documents in post-independent India. Thirty-seven passport officers and the representative of the Andaman and Nicobar administration are participating in the conference, said a statement.
The minister also launched the Online Passport Fees Payment facility at 18 more Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) in the country. The facility is already available at 25 locations. By July 03, the online facility will be available in the rest of 15 PSKs as well.
A mobile-based Passport Seva was also launched to offer a wide variety of services to smartphone users, such as passport application status tracking, locating the PSKs and general information on various steps involved in obtaining passport services. The service would soon be available to other mobile phone users also.
Khurshid unveiled a plaque symbolising the inauguration of the new Passport Bhavan in Surat as another step forward in improving physical infrastructure of CPO.
The minister lauded the efforts of Central Passport Organisation employees for striving to improve governance in the country in tandem with Tata Consultancy Services, the service provider through Passport Seva, a transformational initiative of the government under National e-Governance Plan. He also gave away Passport Seva Puraskars to the CPO employees and passport officers.
As part of the Ministry of External Affairs` e-governance initiatives, the Passport Seva Project (PSP) has transformed the passport issuance system across India through an increased network of 77 PSKs.
The benefits of the Passport Seva Project include -- increased network of 77 PSKs acting as extended arms of 37 passport offices across the country, longer working hours to benefit the citizens, 24X7 national call centre support in 17 languages, complete digitization and processing of application when applicant visits the reducing the overall time spent and eliminating multiple visits, said the statement.
More than one crore passport services have been rendered in the new system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day