Advani was right, people disappointed with BJP: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Monday said Bhartiya Janata Party`s poor show in Karnataka urban local bodies polls proved its veteran leader LK Advani`s contention that people were disappointed with the BJP.
"Advani is a senior leader of the BJP. He said people are disappointed with his party, too, if they are angry with the Congress. Half of what he said was correct.
What he said about the BJP is amply proved by the result of Karnataka local urban body polls," Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.
Holding that the "crushing defeat" of the BJP in Karnataka proved Advani right, he said, "Advani had made the remarks on Saturday and the people of Karantaka have put their stamp on it. Whatever Advani is saying is correct".
Alvi, at the same, downplayed Advani`s remarks against the Congress and the UPA government, saying political leaders of any party generally oppose other parties and it was not the first time Advani was criticising the Congress.
"The important thing is what he has said about his own party one year before the (general) elections," he said.
In a morale-boosting performance ahead of assembly polls, the opposition Congress in Karnataka today put up an impressive show in the elections to urban local bodies, leaving JDS and ruling BJP way behind.
With results in around 4,500 wards of a total of nearly 5,000 announced this afternoon, the Congress bagged more than 1,800 wards, while JDS of former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda came second with around 870. The ruling BJP finished third with 800-plus wards in its kitty.
On Saturday, Advani had said people are "somewhat disillusioned" with his party, about which he feels "distressed".
"In the last few years, I have been feeling distressed to find that while the current mood of the people is against the present ruling party, they are simultaneously disillusioned with even the BJP," Advani had told a news magazine.
Alvi accused the BJP of playing "negative" politics and not discharging the role of responsible opposition.
"BJP`s only job is to oppose whatever decision the government takes. That is the reason people have got disenchanted with the BJP," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'