Afzal’s body should be returned to family, says NDA convenor Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor and Janata Dal- United (JD-U) president Sharad Yadav on Wednesday said the government should consider the request of 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s family to return his body to them.
“I don’t want to go in detail, but all I want say is that when we had informed Pakistan about Ajmal Kasab’s hanging and asked them to take his body if they want, the same right should be provided to everyone,” said Yadav.
“Afzal has been punished for his crime. Now, I will request the Prime Minister to consider the wishes of his family, so that they can perform his last rites. It should not be considered a matter of national pride,” he added.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged and buried in Tihar Jail here in the morning on January 9, was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Guru`s mercy plea on February 3 this year and a final decision to hang him was taken thereafter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre