Afzal’s body should be returned to family, says NDA convenor Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor and Janata Dal- United (JD-U) president Sharad Yadav on Wednesday said the government should consider the request of 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s family to return his body to them.
“I don’t want to go in detail, but all I want say is that when we had informed Pakistan about Ajmal Kasab’s hanging and asked them to take his body if they want, the same right should be provided to everyone,” said Yadav.
“Afzal has been punished for his crime. Now, I will request the Prime Minister to consider the wishes of his family, so that they can perform his last rites. It should not be considered a matter of national pride,” he added.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged and buried in Tihar Jail here in the morning on January 9, was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Guru`s mercy plea on February 3 this year and a final decision to hang him was taken thereafter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report