Afzal’s body should be returned to family, says NDA convenor Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor and Janata Dal- United (JD-U) president Sharad Yadav on Wednesday said the government should consider the request of 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru’s family to return his body to them.
“I don’t want to go in detail, but all I want say is that when we had informed Pakistan about Ajmal Kasab’s hanging and asked them to take his body if they want, the same right should be provided to everyone,” said Yadav.
“Afzal has been punished for his crime. Now, I will request the Prime Minister to consider the wishes of his family, so that they can perform his last rites. It should not be considered a matter of national pride,” he added.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged and buried in Tihar Jail here in the morning on January 9, was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Guru`s mercy plea on February 3 this year and a final decision to hang him was taken thereafter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden