Agartala-Akhaura rail link work to start soon
Agartala: Works for laying of 15.054 km railway tracks to connect Agartala and Akhaura in neighbouring Bangladesh would start this year, official sources said on Friday.
"India and Bangladesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding on May 21 and it was decided that acquisition of land for first phase of work would be completed in six months," Transport Secretary of Tripura, Kishore Ambuly, who is a member of Project Steering Committee formed with the official representatives from India and Bangladesh, said.
He went to Dhaka to take part in the meeting and returned from there today.
It was decided that both countries would complete works in their side. IRCON, an undertaking of Indian Railway, would work as consultant and External Affairs Ministry of India will bear the cost of the project.
India has sanctioned Rs 2.52 crore for laying the railway tracks.
Of the 15.054 km railway track, only 5 km fall in Indian side and the rest is in Bangladesh. The tracks would be laid in meter gauge on broad gauge format so that it could be converted into broad gauge when necessary.
New Delhi is keen to establish the rail link as it would connect West Bengal and Tripura through Bangladesh.
During Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s visit to New Delhi in January 2010, India and Bangladesh had agreed to lay the tracks between Akhaura and Agartala.
Meanwhile, Tripura Transport Minister Manik Dey said that extension of the railway line from Agartala to Sabroom, about 110 km from here, would be completed by March 2014.
Sabroom is also very close to India-Bangladesh border and just about 70 km from Chittagong Port.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened