Allegations aimed at maligning my family: Robert Vadra
New Delhi: Caught in a controversy over allegations made by activist Arvind Kejriwal that he was favoured by realty major DLF, Robert Vadra on Sunday said he was saddened by attempts to manufacture lies against him.
The son-in-law of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi said allegations against him are "utterly
false, entirely baseless and defamatory".
Vadra added that he was saddened by the attempts to malign him and his family in order to gain cheap publicity.
"I am a private law abiding citizen who has been engaged in business over the last 21 years. The allegations levelled against me by Kejriwal and Bhushan are utterly false, entirely baseless and defamatory", Vadra said in a statement, two days after charges made by the civil society activists at a press conference here created a political storm.
He said, "My business transactions are fully reflected in financial statements filed before appropriate government authorities in compliance with the law. They are available in the public domain to anyone interested in knowing the truth."
His statement came a day after he broke his silence over the controversy surrounding his property dealings, saying he could "handle all the negativity".
Earlier this morning, Kejriwal described as "half truths and lies" the clarifications of reality major DLF on the allegations that Vadra was given property at throw away prices for government favours.
On Saturday, Kejriwal stuck to his graft charges against Vadra, leading to a political slugfest with the BJP and others demanding a probe and the Congress rejecting it.
"We are not passing judgement. We have put certain facts in the public domain. Why doesn`t he (Vadra) answer them," Kejriwal of India Against Corruption (IAC) asked while speaking to a news channel.
Kejriwal denied he was targeting Vadra for being related to the Gandhis and also to get mileage for his yet-to-be-named political outfit.
"People will not agree we targeted him for being (Sonia) Gandhi`s son-in-law," said Kejriwal.
Kejriwal and his lawyer colleague Prashant Bhushan alleged on Friday that Vadra had bought property in Gurgaon and other places at below market rates and sold them at a huge profit.
Kejriwal said he was ready to face a defamation case if charges against Vadra were proved wrong and asked why the Congress was silent on the merits of the case.
"I am ready to face defamation charges if the corruption charges against Robert Vadra are proven wrong. Why is the Congress silent on the merits of the case?"
The Opposition, including Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ravi Shankar Prasad, CPI-M leader Brinda Karat and Trinamool Congress` Saugata Roy, came together to demand a probe into the matter, while Anna Hazare sought a judicial probe into Vadra`s assets.
The Congress defended Vadra and rejected the demand for a probe.
"An inquiry into what? Is a business transaction between two private entities duly reported to the statutory authorities illegal? Is it a crime," Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari asked.
"They (the activists) are acting as B team of BJP," he added.
"The individual has disclosed all the transactions," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said in Mumbai.
Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad sided with the Congress, saying Kejriwal was levelling wild charges against Vadra.
Claiming to be neutral, Kejriwal has said that both the Congress and the BJP alleged that he was their rival`s agent.
Stating he had not read the reports about the DLF-Vadra link published in The Economic Times in March 2011, Kejriwal said there was no harm in repeating the same.
DLF, in a statement on Saturday evening, denied it had advanced any unsecured loan to Vadra, or sold its assets to him at a throwaway prices, or that there was a quid pro quo in the transactions the company had with him.
"We wish to categorically state that the DLF has given no unsecured loans to Mr. Vadra or any of his companies," DLF said.
"At no stage was a property ever sold to the Skylight group below the then offered price to all customers," it said.
"DLF vehemently denies any quid pro quo in its transactions with Mr. Vadra and his group of companies," it added.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow