Amend SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act: Ramadoss
Puducherry: PMK founder leader Dr S Ramadoss on Sunday called for amending the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act 1989 to ensure that the legislation is not misused against non Dalits`.
Speaking to reporters before launching a joint discussion with leaders of intermediate castes and communities coming under a common movement here, he said the meeting adopted resolutions based on which talks were held on the issue arising out of `misuse` of the Act .
He said resolutions urged adequate amendments` to the Act as it was now being misused against non dalits. Cases were registered under non bailable sections, he said.
Ramadoss said such meetings were held in 29 districts in Tamil Nadu since the last few months and now here to reiterate their demand. After meetings in the other three districts, the movement would stage demonstrations in district headquarters and in Puducherry in April to seek amendment to the Act.
If necessary the movement would also hold demonstrations in Delhi to seek amendment to the SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities Act) 1989, he said.
He said his current initiative of mobilizing support of different outfits was not a `political mission` but only to ensure there was no fomenting of social tensions due to filing `false` complaints against non dalits.
The meeting in another resolution urged constituting a monitoring committee under Puducherry District Magistrate to refer for consideration all complaints filed by those invoking provisions the Act. Only after getting its approval should any action be taken on the complaints, it said.
Expressing concern over the rising number of cases against non Dalits through `misuse` of the Act here, it demanded a judicial enquiry under a retired High Court Judge to collect details of all cases of girls and their parents facing problems due to false promises of love and mental torture to parents during the last four years in the Union Territory.
Another resolution demanded protection against eveteasers. Plainclothesmen should be posted to keep vigil on safety and security of school and college girls and women facing harassment near bus terminal and other public places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured