Amend SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act: Ramadoss
Puducherry: PMK founder leader Dr S Ramadoss on Sunday called for amending the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act 1989 to ensure that the legislation is not misused against non Dalits`.
Speaking to reporters before launching a joint discussion with leaders of intermediate castes and communities coming under a common movement here, he said the meeting adopted resolutions based on which talks were held on the issue arising out of `misuse` of the Act .
He said resolutions urged adequate amendments` to the Act as it was now being misused against non dalits. Cases were registered under non bailable sections, he said.
Ramadoss said such meetings were held in 29 districts in Tamil Nadu since the last few months and now here to reiterate their demand. After meetings in the other three districts, the movement would stage demonstrations in district headquarters and in Puducherry in April to seek amendment to the Act.
If necessary the movement would also hold demonstrations in Delhi to seek amendment to the SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities Act) 1989, he said.
He said his current initiative of mobilizing support of different outfits was not a `political mission` but only to ensure there was no fomenting of social tensions due to filing `false` complaints against non dalits.
The meeting in another resolution urged constituting a monitoring committee under Puducherry District Magistrate to refer for consideration all complaints filed by those invoking provisions the Act. Only after getting its approval should any action be taken on the complaints, it said.
Expressing concern over the rising number of cases against non Dalits through `misuse` of the Act here, it demanded a judicial enquiry under a retired High Court Judge to collect details of all cases of girls and their parents facing problems due to false promises of love and mental torture to parents during the last four years in the Union Territory.
Another resolution demanded protection against eveteasers. Plainclothesmen should be posted to keep vigil on safety and security of school and college girls and women facing harassment near bus terminal and other public places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city