Anti-Narendra Modi protest held in London
London: South Asian human rights campaigners here joined forces to organise a protest against an invitation for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to visit the UK.
The South Asia Solidarity Group led a demonstration along with 10 other groups outside the office of Labour Party MP Barry Gardiner in north London yesterday.
Gardiner, in his capacity as the chair of the Labour Friends of India group, sparked widespread debate last month with an invitation for Modi to speak on "The Future of Modern India" at a special event in the House of Commons.
But the election campaign chief of the BJP has since declined the invitation and said he has no immediate plans to visit the UK.
"In the face of so much opposition to the invitation to Modi, Barry Gardiner has now released a statement saying that Modi is unable to come in the next few weeks. But we are continuing our campaign demanding that the invitation is officially withdrawn and not repeated," a South Asia Solidarity Group spokesperson said.
"Modi has already tried to make political capital in India from this invitation, and we need to send a clear message that he is not welcome here. This is part of a larger campaign and we will also take our protest to the Conservative Friends of India, which had also sent Modi an invitation," she added.
The protest, which included a theatrical skit on the relationship between Gardiner and Modi, was backed by a range of UK-based groups such as the Council of Indian Muslims, Islamic Human Rights Commission, CasteWatch UK and Southall Black Sisters.
The group waved placards demanding "justice" for three British citizens Saeed and Shakeel Dawood and Mohammed Aswat who lost their lives in the 2002 Gujarat riots.
Gardiner`s fellow Labour party MP, Mike Wood, tabled an early day motion (EDM) in the House of Commons last week calling on the UK Home Office to deny Modi entry into the UK.
"Mr Modi was previously denied a visa on grounds that he was `responsible for or directly carried out...Particularly severe violations of religious freedom`; and calls on Mr Speaker and the House authorities to ban Mr Modi from entering the Palace of Westminster," reads the EDM, which is a means by which MPs can draw attention to specific issues in Parliament.
Gardiner has so far stood by his invitation to the BJP leader, who he describes as a politician "who cannot be ignored".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo