Associate Sponsor
Sponsors


Antrix-Devas deal: Govt to hear scientists` views

Last Updated: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 18:29

New Delhi: Government on Sunday said it is ready
to hear the points of view of four scientists, including
former ISRO chief Madhavan Nair, who have been barred from
occupying any government posts in connection with the
controversial Antrix-Devas deal.

"We are ready to hear their points of view. Let them give
their views", Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy
said.
Asked whether there was any move to revoke the decision,
he said, "How can I say that now. Let them give their points
of view first."
The government would consider the version of the
scientists, he told PTI.

The government had earlier this month barred Nair and
three other senior space scientists from all current and
future government jobs for their alleged role in Antrix
Corporation`s deal with Devas Multimedia for leasing out bulk
transponders on two satellites for launch of digital
multimedia services. The contract related to allocation of
scarce S-band space segment to private firm Devas.

Taking serious exception to the move, Prof C N R Rao,
Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister,
had yesterday said Nair and three fellow space scientists were
"thrown out like garbage".

Rao had targeted Narayanasamy for his reported comments
that the government decision was taken to send a strong
message to the scientific community that no wrongdoing would
be tolerated.

Earlier, reacting to the decision, 68-year-old Nair had
hit back at the government for taking action "in violation of
principles of natural justice and tarnishing the image of
reputed people like him."

He has also attacked the incumbent ISRO chief K
Radhakrishnan, saying that he had misled the government on the
issue.

Radhakrishnan has reportedly remained unfazed by his
Nair`s outbursts against him and has chosen not to react.

PTI



First Published: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 18:29

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus