Army assures orders for DRDO Howitzers
New Delhi: In a major boost to indigenous defence capabilities, the Indian Army has assured the DRDO an order for over 140 howitzers once the premier research agency proves its artillery guns which are under development.
DRDO`s Pune-based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) is working on to develop a 155 mm 52 calibre indigenous howitzer for the Army.
The DRDO was recently told by the Army that it will place an order for over 140 artillery howitzers if the guns being developed by the research agency are proven in field trials and are ready for induction, sources told a news agency here.
This proposal made by the Army to the DRDO was also a part of the presentation made to Defence Minister AK Antony while he was reviewing the preparedness of army`s Corps of Artillery, which has not been able to induct even a single piece of howitzer for over 25 years after the Bofors gun deal scam broke out in the 80s.
During the presentation, the Defence Minister was also informed about the progress made in the development of Bofors guns being produced indigenous by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
The trial of the OFB guns was done recently in the Pokhran firing ranges in presence of senior officials from the Army, which has already placed an order for 100 of these guns.
The Defence Ministry has recently approved the procurement of 145 Ultra Light Howitzers (ULHs) from the US under a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route for being deployed in high altitude areas.
A deal for these guns is expected to be signed by the end of this fiscal and one they start getting inducted, they will be the first ones to join the army in over two decades.
DRDO had earlier developed the 105 mm field artillery guns for the Army and is still in operational service.
DRDO had started working on the development of the Bhim self-propelled howitzer about a decade back but the project was virtually scrapped after South African firm Denel was blacklisted by the ministry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata